I was recently asked via an Instagram post to break down my top 5 favorite whiskeys in the $35 and under range and my favorite in the $36 to $100 range. That’s not enough of a breakdown for me. I need to break it down to $36 to $55, and $56 to $100. Even that seems like not enough, but we will at least start with that.
Top Five Whisk(e)ys $35 and Under
1. Jim Beam Black Bourbon
2. Jameson Irish Whiskey
3. Lismore Single Malt Scotch
4. Rebel Yell Kentucky Straight Bourbon (only $11 locally and I would easily pay closer to $20)
5. Collier and McKeel Tennessee Whiskey
Top Five Whisk(e)ys $36 to $55
1. Few Spirits Bourbon
2. Basil Hayden’s
3. Whistle Pig 111 Straight Rye Whiskey (called Triple One)
4. Maker’s Mark (84 proof if you can still find it, otherwise the 90 proof is great also)
5. Chattanooga Whiskey Co. Cask
Top Five Whisk(e)ys $56 to $100
All of the expressions in this category are Single Malts with Penderyn being the only non Scotch. I know there are several very good bourbons and other world whiskeys in this category. However, I yet to try one.
1. Lagavulin 16 Single Malt Scotch
2. The Macallan 12 Alchemist
3. Glenfiddich 12
4. Penderyn Madeira
5. Laphroaig Triple Wood
Ardbeg Supernova 2010
Not all of these are going to be readily available in your local stores. If you live in an area where you can legally buy liquor online, you should be able to find any if not all of these on-line. A couple of my favorite on-line stores are Master of Malt and Drink Up NY. Since I live in an area where I can not buy on-line and have it shipped to my house, for now I’m just window shopping.
In the near future I intend on releasing another list of my favorite whisk(e)ys within different categories such as Single Malt Scotch, Irish whiskey, Bourbon, and so on. Keep an eye out for that.
Let me know via the comment section below if you think that I forgot one or if you agree!